We have just made some changes to our list of “places”.
Firstly, back when we first created the “places” gazetteer in 2004, its core was a list of all Civil Parishes in 1911. As a result the gazetteer contained a couple of hundred “places” which were really parishes whose names referred to two or more settlements; for example, “LANGLEYDALE AND SHOTTON” or “CARPERBY CUM THORESBY”. We have now worked systematically through all places whose names contained ” AND “, ” WITH ” or ” CUM “. In most cases there were two settlements and so we changed the name to the first of the settlements and added a more precise coordinate; and then created a new “place” covering the second settlement. The parish will stay associated with the original place, as we have always linked units named after multiple settlements/places to the one that appears first in the preferred version of the unit name. There are still 44 “places” whose names contain AND, WITH or CUM, either because the settlement names on the Ordnance Survey map really contained those words or because we could not find a settlement at all.
Secondly, we have added a bunch of additional “places” by going through all “unplaced” entries in the Imperial Gazetteer for “villages”.
In total, we have added 508 new places. One consequence is that we have now linked 19,447 out of 29,411 Imperial Gazetteer entries to “places”, which means in practice that we have geo-referenced them.